The building and the surrounding fields, which in ‘400 were owned by the Ospedale Maggiore of Milan, were sold in 1553 to the D’Adda family. These owners transformed the castle into a manor house still in the 16th century and renovated it at the beginning of the 18th century. Historians agree in considering the castle as dating back to the 14th or 15th century, which maintains its whole structure around a square court and some architectural details, as the two axial gates, recalling the presence of the drawbridges, and a window of the 14th century in terracotta, part of an angular tower, of which it is also preserved the visible facing. It is said that it was connected to the Monastery of Chiaravalle by a secret tunnel.
The woods of Triulzo
Still today, in front of Cascina Moro, along via Triulziana and viale De Gasperi is located the “Bosco di Triulzo”
Medieval and baroque traces
The southern side too preserves some medieval traces, but it is substantially baroque, both in the frameworks of the windows, and in the porch located inside. The bottom side, eastward, reveals an entrance hall preceded by a huge niche, from which you can enter the big rooms of the 16th century. The entrance hall opens up towards the garden, with a porch with two Tuscan Doric granite columns and shows some terracotta pilasters, boxes and decorative niches of the 16th or 17th century. The side facing the garden is still doted with a gutter ridge.
Oratory of Santa Croce
In 1561 the D’Adda family built the Oratory of Santa Croce with the annexed houses and the Benefit Court, to be used as an orphanage, entrusted to care to the Fathers Somaschi of San Martino, who ran it until 1628.
The church of Santa Croce became later a private oratory of the D’Addas, in which Masses were celebrated.
Cascina Moro, also called Casa D’Adda
By about 1650, also the Manor House was lent, together with the fields, and in 1871 the heritage of the D’Adda family was rented by the Moro family, which remained its tenants until the immediate post-war years, when they definitely became its owners. In this farm was born Angelo Moro, who was Major of San Donato Milanese between 1896 and 1920.
Nowadays, Cascina Moro, also called Casa D’Adda, still belongs to the Moro family.
Historical Background: RecSando
Photos taken from the book of San Donato Milanese